ON STAGE: creativity and artist development
The opportunity to represent your country at such a big event and play Welsh music in Welsh to an international audience was a privilege and our profile there as a national group of individual performers from Wales was always evident and a source of real satisfaction.
Chris Jones on Folk Alliance International
trac works with performing artists to develop our emerging folk scene at a professional level
Our work has included professional development residential courses, performance development days, mentoring and more.
- WOMEX Artist Development Programme – 13 artists in eight acts received in-depth residential training & mentoring
- Aur – training days in industry skills: stagecraft, live sound, social media, technical/logistics, and marketing/branding
- Music days – songwriting with Martin Joseph, arranging folk music with Sioned Webb
- Training for tutors – expanding musicians’ ‘portfolio career’ possibilities through the tutors’ forum day, Handing It On courses and our Community Music Tutor training course
- Gaining exposure for Welsh folk artists – Calan Mai, NATO, Folk Proms, Ty Gwerin
- the Directory of performers lists soloists, duos and bands and folk services
Imaginative trac projects have commissioned new work and enabled performers to extend the reach of their music.
- 10 Mewn Bws – this groundbreaking project took ten young musicians from many genres and introduced them to the traditional arts – and the tradition bearers – of Wales
- Beyond The Marches/Dros y Ffin – three young musicians from Wales and three from England explore our common heritage and our differences (in association with PRSf)
- Ffylantin-tw – Robin Huw Bowen researched lesser-known pieces from the collections of Meredydd Evans and Phyllis Kinney for a book and CD
- TuneChain – nine videos illustrate the oral tradition as tunes pass between musicians
- Ffwrnes Gerdd – 24 short films celebrating a range of folk songs, tunes and artists
- Canu yn y Cof – Siân James collected unknown manuscripts and songs from north Powys
- Coch Bach y Bala – PRSf funded Sioned Webb’s community folk ‘opera’ set in Rhuthun
We’ve always sought to make sure the folk arts of Wales are not a well-kept secret.
- Wales in London – EFDSS invited us to showcase Welsh music at Cecil Sharp House
- WOMEX – Cardiff hosted this major World Music event which led Olion Byw to India as guests of our partners Banglanatak
- Folk Alliance International – we showcase Wales to new audiences in the USA and Canada in a UK-wide partnership: Calan, Olion Byw, DnA, Siân James, Chris Jones, Lowri Evans, and Gwyneth Glyn, 9Bach, Georgia Ruth have taken part so far
- Music PEI – A Canadian partnership exchanged Kizzy Crawford and Tim Chaisson
- Association of Festival Organisers – trac keeps UK folk colleagues up to date with developments in Wales at the annual AFO conference